5 Classic Movies I'd Take to a Desert Island: the Pick My Movie Tag

           

            Only five?! 

            I suppose if one is stranded on a desert island, the best thing to do would be to watch some classic movies. (Maybe this desert island has a DVD player somewhere). A big thanks to the Classic Movie Muse for nominating me! Here are a few rules:

  • Nominate one or more people to review the film or films of your choice. Or you can request they review something from a certain year, genre, or star. Everyone can review the same thing, or you can request each person cover something different. As long as it’s something they haven’t written about yet, you’re good.
  • Nominees are allowed to request a different pick for whatever reason no more than five times. Stuff happens. We all know it.
  • Nominees must thank the person who nominated them and provide a link their blog.
  • Nominees may nominate others to keep the tag going. Picking the person who nominated them is allowed, or they can nominate someone else. Maybe both.
  • All participants need to include these rules in their post, whether they’re nominees or picking nominees.
  • All participants should use the “Pick My Movie” banner or something similar in their posts.
  • Have fun!

1. Good News (1947)


            Good News might as well be called "Good Vibes," because it's one of the best feel-good classic movies out there. Maybe it's because I'm a high-schooler myself, but there's something so comforting about the quintessential football-star-meets-school-nerd story - it never gets old! June Allyson and Peter Lawford make a wonderful team, and their adorably fun energy rubs off on you so you can't help but smile while watching. It's true! Plus, the bright colors of an MGM musical never hurt, and the songs are sure to get stuck in your head (watch Good News and see if you don't hum "The Varsity Drag" for days afterward).

2. Follow the Fleet (1936)



            Seeing as I can't take all ten Fred and Ginger movies to this desert island with me, I'll settle for one - Follow the Fleet. One of their underrated gems, it follows two former dancing partners who reunite and immediately fall for each other all over again. Obviously, it plays to the team's strengths - goofy comedic timing, plenty of song and dance, and the perfect will-they-won't-they romantic tension that makes their films such classics. Some of Irving Berlin's best songs, like "Let's Face the Music and Dance" and "Let Yourself Go," make for some of Fred and Ginger's best dance numbers. Any movie where they share the screen is sure to be a good one, but Follow the Fleet has such a great story, lovely costumes, and a fun soundtrack that it's my pick. And Fred plays a sailor in the Navy - what better movie to watch on an island?

3. Captain Blood (1935)


            Captain Blood is one of the best swashbuckling adventures to come out of Old Hollywood. Starring Errol Flynn, everyone's favorite daredevil, and Olivia de Havilland - screen goddess and Errol's best partner - it's the perfect pirate movie. It has everything from intense sword-fighting and arson to sea battles and dangerous escapes from captivity (not to mention the chemistry between the leads, which makes a great movie even better). An Errol-and-Olivia-historical-pirate-adventure-romance? I don't think you could ask for more.

4. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)


            I couldn't make a top-5 list without a Disney movie, so I'm including my favorite - Snow White. Quite simply, it's a lovely film. The animation is beautiful, the songs are gorgeous, and I could watch it over and over and always discover something new. Early Disney movies have such a nostalgic air about them, from the hand-painted backgrounds to the color schemes to the classic yet touching stories to the themes of loyalty and happiness and true love. There are so many reasons to adore Snow White!

5. The Philadelphia Story (1940)


            Forget a desert island - I couldn't go anywhere without this movie. The second Old Hollywood movie I ever saw (after Top Hat), it's one of my favorites of all time. Every line is laugh-out-loud funny and the story (society lady goes to get re-married only to fall in love with her ex-husband and possibly also a reporter!) is pure genius. I believe that Katharine Hepburn was the best at playing herself and making it genuine - no other actress could have pulled off Tracy Lord so well because the Great Kate practically was Tracy Lord. Cary Grant is at his screwball comedy peak in this film, and Jimmy Stewart gives the performance that would win him an Oscar. It doesn't get any better than that.


            ...And with that, I'm set for any desert island that I may find myself on! I had a ton of fun with this one (and spent a lot of time weighing my options). I nominate anybody else who would like to join, since I'm about a month late to the tag - oops!


Comments

  1. Terrific choices and assortment of films! I love that you included a Disney film. In my opinion, Snow White is the penultimate. Although the technique of the Disney artists improved over time, it's hard to beat their original work and the excitement that came through as they created their art form. Not to mention the storytelling and everything else that makes it so enjoyable.

    You know, it's pretty neat that a vlogger I tagged chose two of your desert island picks as well! I'll leave their link here if you'd like to check it out :)

    https://youtu.be/JCxtRpJvwuY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'll be sure to take a look :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Costume Analysis of Singin' in the Rain (1952)

Aah! A Shriek in the Night (1933)

Airborne Adventuress: Katharine Hepburn in Christopher Strong (1933)