Recent Movie-Watching Adventures (an update!)

 

            It has come to my attention that I haven't posted on my blog in four months (despicable, I know). Sometimes life, especially high school life, is like that. But I'm still around and watching movies, and I promise you can expect plenty of posts from now on!

            Recently I've been in a comfort-movie mood. So far this month I've watched five movies, all with Old Hollywood connections of some sort (and two with Anne Hathaway). The first one was

            Malcolm & Marie (2021) 

             This was a random Netflix pick that I watched entirely for Zendaya. The movie takes place over the course of one night and is essentially a two-hour argument between Malcolm and Marie as they storm in and out of rooms around their beautiful mid-century-modern house. Malcolm is an up-and-coming filmmaker and Marie is his girlfriend and muse, a model whose life story provided the basis for Malcolm's new hit movie. Malcolm & Marie ultimately deals with Marie's autonomy and the relationship tension that comes from Malcolm's film, which denied her the chance to tell her own story. Filmed on real black-and-white film (!), it was gorgeous to watch, but a little drawn-out.

            Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)

            A classic that I'd never seen! Over spring break I visited my movie-obsessed grandfather and knew that I simply couldn't see him without watching this movie, given how many times he's recommended it. Overall, I thought it was nice and Judy Garland was lovely, but I'm not sure it deserves all the hype it gets. 1940s-does-1910s costumes? Wonderful. A 20-minute dilemma about kids throwing flour on Halloween? ...Not so much. But I'm glad I saw it, if only for my grandpa and the classic movie community.

            The Devil Wears Prada (2006)

            A fun, fashionable movie that really does it all - makes fun of Anna Wintour and the insanity of the fashion industry, gives us Anne Hathaway, Meryl Streep, and Emily Blunt in top form, showcases some peak 2000s clothes, and drops some iconic quotes: "Florals? For spring? Groundbreaking." The Devil Wears Prada also exists in that perfect era of fluffy-haired, flip-phone-using protagonists that turns any film into a comfort classic. For me, at least.

            How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003) 

            You guessed it - flip phones! Fluffy hair! A ridiculous, only-in-rom-coms plot (women's magazine journalist assigned to lose a guy in 10 days, marketing man assigned to make a woman fall in love with him in 10 days)! Sure, it's a little dated and a little cringey. But it's also super cute, and features a famous yellow dress that's also channeling major 1930s-Ginger-Rogers vibes. 

            The Princess Diaries (2001)

            If the previous two movies weren't enough, my fifth April watch is yet another 2000s classic with Anne Hathaway and, this time, the iconic Julie Andrews. As soon as Julie walked onscreen I was reminded why she's my longtime favorite: she has the most magical voice. And not just for singing - when she talks, it makes you feel like you're being hugged. But I digress. The Princess Diaries is about a nerdy, unpopular girl who finds out that not only is she the princess and heir of a small European country, Julie Andrews is her grandmother! Truly the dream life.

            Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more articles, including my entry in the Classic Movie Blog association's spring blogathon next month!

            <3 Maeve

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Costume Analysis of Singin' in the Rain (1952)

Aah! A Shriek in the Night (1933)

Airborne Adventuress: Katharine Hepburn in Christopher Strong (1933)